This is my first blog post and entry in Kimberly Snyder’s Beauty Detox Recipe Challenge. If you are not yet familiar, I urge you to check out her blog and books ASAP. She is a plant based beauty guru!
Please excuse the appearance of my blog so far. It’s unlike me to put something out there unless I feel like it is perfect but I am so excited about connecting with the smart and talented people from the Beauty Detox Foods Facebook Group that I just can not wait for “perfection”! Is that a real thing, anyway? I am learning that its much more fun to step out of my comfort zone. I am so eager to finally build a resource to share with my all of my friends and family who ask me about healthy eating. If you’d like to keep in touch, you can follow me via Instagram, Facebook or email.
This recipe is based upon Kimberly’s recipe for Cucumber Salad with an Asian Twist. Refreshing and hydrating with a satisfying crunch, it will become your new summer staple. Make this salad with dinner tonight and you’ll have leftovers that will be even better for lunch tomorrow. It holds up well in the refrigerator and gets even tastier as it marinades. This is PERFECT to pack in a mason jar and throw in your beach bag. It is loaded with vitamins A & C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and beautifying minerals. The ingredients will help cleanse your liver, oxygenate your bloodstream and prevent bloating.
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 L or 2 sm-med carrots, julienne or shredded
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 TB chives, minced
- handful fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 TB raw honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 TB tamari sauce
- juice of 2 limes (just under 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- Combine salad veggies in a bowl and set aside. Blend the dressing ingredients in your blender or whisk by hand. Add dressing to your salad, a little at a time, and mix to combine.
- A mandolin slicer makes quick work of prepping this salad and will get your veggies nice and thin.
- You may not need all of the dressing for your salad.